Director – Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time, Status: Permanent
Annual Salary: UA 81,435.54 (USD 128,488.99)
Application Deadline: 30th July 2019
Department: Office of the Vice President
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Directorate: Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation
Line Supervising: Vice President
- Under the supervision of the Vice- President, the Director of Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation will oversee the translation of the ECOWAS Vision into a community strategic framework that will serve as basis for the development of the medium-term work programmes of the Institutions, Departments and Agencies; and coordinate the implementation of the framework.
- He/she will also coordinate the development and implementation of a community results framework and ensure the effective monitoring and evaluation of the community strategic framework.
- Planning, Programming & Coordination
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Office Manager
- Office Aide
Role and Responsibilities
- Advise the Management on the development of the vision to strategically position the ECOWAS region in the global and continental scheme of affairs;
- Coordinate, in collaboration with the Community Institutions and in consultation with various stakeholders in the Member States, the translation of the ECOWAS Vision into a community strategic framework or plan, taking into account international development paradigms such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the African Union Agenda 2063;
- Coordinate with Community Institutions and national planning offices in member States to make sure that the Strategic Plans are in line with the development goals and objectives of Member States;
- Coordinate the development of a regional results framework and put in place a mechanism for the effective monitoring and evaluation of the community strategic framework;
- Assist ECOWAS Institutions, Agencies and Department to develop medium-term work programmes and ensure that these programmes are well aligned with the community strategic framework
- Assist the ECOWAS Commission to define the institutional goals and objectives of the ECOWAS Commission and ensure their realization within specified time frames in order to achieve the desired results;
- Install and perpetuate a Results-Based Management (RBM) culture within ECOWAS Institutions and Agencies;
- Put in place a mechanism for the systematic collection and analysis of data, and the preparation of the quarterly, mid-year and annual progress and performance reports of ECOWAS Institutions, Departments and Agencies; monitoring and measurement of the performance of Community programs, based on well-defined impact, outcome and output indicators;
- Implement a feedback and measurement system to ensure implementation of approved plans and budget at all levels;
- Carry out business process design, improvement and management;
- Identify possible bottlenecks/ constraints that could lead to under-performance of programs assigned to Community Institutions and recommend remedial measures;
- Prepare training and operational manuals for ensuring effective and efficient Monitoring & Evaluation processes by Community Institutions and Agencies;
- Provide good leadership and direction in the management of the Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Directorate;
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Vice-President of the Commission.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Management, Economics, Planning or a similar field from a recognized university;
- 12 years of professional experience including 5 years at a supervisory level;
- Knowledge of strategy development techniques, including demonstrated ability to conduct environmental scan, organizational and program assessments, proven ability to co-ordinate/facilitate the development of a regional strategy within the framework of the global and continental development agendas;
- Knowledge of strategic planning techniques applying a Result Based Management approach including key implications and strategic options for program/project implementation;
- Professional competence and ability to develop implement and monitor, medium and long term strategic documents and detailed regional strategic plan, programs and projects;
- Understanding of the policy environment and major institutions of the ECOWAS Community.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Senior leadership experience in establishing strategic partnerships, working collaboratively and building consensus with multiple internal and/or external stakeholders on complex issues in a multi-disciplinary governmental or international organizations;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social state/trends of member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Exhibit consistency on actions, values, methods, confidentiality, ethics, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes which connotes a deep commitment to do the right thing for the right reason, regardless of the circumstances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Heads of Institutions, elected officials and statutory employees to facilitate compliance, build engagement, resolve conflicts and obtain support for change;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to promote a culture where people hold themselves personally accountable for results;
- Ability to provide leadership, management, and technical oversight for all project activities and program deliverables in accordance with ECOWAS legal and administrative practices and standards;
- Ability to conduct periodic reviews of staff performance in keeping with the ECOWAS performance management system and to mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork;
- Ability to oversee project management, internal controls and stewardship of financial resources and to address issues in a confident and capable manner whilst making decisions that exemplifies impartial and non-partisan decision-making.
- Ability to exercise the initiative and resourcefulness necessary for simultaneously addressing a variety of stakeholder needs, pursuing multiple tasks and achieving positive outcomes;
- Ability to create synergies with client groups and others to achieve objectives in setting and monitoring service standards and indicators;
- Ability to motivate and engage others in promoting or adopting best practices in client services ;
- Ability to identify and improve services and client interactions through appropriate networks and to create innovative ways of addressing these in an accountable and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of anti-discriminatory/human rights regulatory environment and ability to advance strategies to foster an inclusive working environment and healthy organization respectful of cultural diversity and gender equality and free from harassment and discrimination;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, being sensitive to group differences, gender issues and ability to contribute to, advocate for, and/or develop policies which are gender sensitive and responsive to various cultures;
- Ability to foster a diverse and inclusive interactive work environment that can effectively bring together a wide spectrum of ideas and experiences to solve problems, develop projects/programs and improve results;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, workplace culture and dynamics;
- Ability to apply knowledge of ECOWAS legal framework, strategic priorities and operational standards to develop/modernize policies and programs and/or to implement policies and programs in a sustainable and effective manner;
- Well-developed business, social and political acumen, demonstrating a strong commitment to the vision and mandate of ECOWAS coupled with a broad knowledge of the economic, political and social situations and trends in member states;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills on matters relating to policy and strategy development important to the realization of the ECOWAS mandate and the improvement of outcomes for member states.
- Ability to analyze reports as well as socio-economic and institutional dynamics and recognize areas of potential obstacles or challenges and develop innovative solutions or alternatives to address barriers and achieve strategic/operational priorities;
- Ability to anticipate and interpret the effects of environmental changes (social, economic and political) and its impact and make recommendations;
- Ability to identify/address strengths and weaknesses, stimulate creativity, reduce resistance to change and improve the achievement of strategic objectives;
- Ability to make prudent decisions relating to the management of human, financial and material resources.
- Ability to actively listen and understand perspectives of others to make informed assertions, decisions or recommendations;
- Ability to build multiple external collaborative relationships to support strategic and operational objectives; identify the key issues and accommodate the key players with well thought out communication and stakeholder management plans;
- Ability to communicate with clarity and conviction, make compelling presentations which promotes new insights, ideas and perspectives and a better understanding of issues and challenges;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills focusing on building and nurturing effective and collaborative relationships;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to prepare plans, set clear objectives in a consistent manner and have effective oversight of performance management practices to ensure that goals and standards are met;
- Ability to set effective goals/results and manage change in a manner that demonstrates resilience, composure and a positive outlook in an environment of uncertainty and ambiguity;
- Ability to enable the development of organizational and individual talent throughout the implementation of strategic, operational, programme, project and individual plans;
- Ability to implement plans, mobilize/engage people, identify critical success factors, mitigate risks, monitor indicators and feedback, initiate corrective measure and build capacities for sustainability;
- Ability to institute rigorous monitoring, and evaluation practices and to learn from setbacks and mistakes to ensure continuous improvement.
How to Apply
Download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to to: b1DirSPUM&ED@ecowas.int
Download Application Form (Ms Word)