The Nigerian government is launching a new program called the Young Innovative Builders (YIB) to help college and university students across Nigeria. This program is giving away 3,256 devices, like laptops and tablets, to students in all 36 states and the federal capital territory.
FG Young Innovative Builders Program To Give Free Laptops To Students
What is the YIB Program?
The YIB program is for college and university students in Nigeria who are creating new and interesting projects using technology. If they apply, they have a chance to get a free laptop or tablet to help with their projects. Each state and the federal capital will get 48 laptops and 40 tablets. These devices are given by the NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission) to help students learn and use technology better.
The idea is to help these young people be ready for a future where digital skills are really important. The government believes that training programs where students get real-world experience are key to this.
Who Can Apply?
- You must be a student at a Nigerian college or university.
- You should have made a project or product that uses digital technology.
- You need to still be a student 3 months after December 22, 2023.
- You must have done an Industrial training program.
- Your project should solve real problems in society.
How to Apply?
- The application starts on November 22, 2023, and ends on December 6, 2023 at yib.fmcide.gov.ng
- You have to apply using a form on their website.
- A group of experts from different fields will review the applications.
- The final list of who gets the devices will be announced by December 22, 2023.
What Will They Look For?
They will check:
- How new and different your project is.
- If your project really helps solve real problems.
- How practical your project is and if it can be used widely.
- How well you presented and explained your project.
- Eligibility for First-Year Students:
Question: Can first-year students who haven’t enrolled in an Industrial Training Program apply?
Answer: No, eligibility is limited to students from Nigerian tertiary institutions who are currently in or have completed an industrial training program.
- Choice of Devices for Selected Students:
Question: Can participants select their preferred device?
Answer: No, device allocation is determined by the selection committee’s final ranking. The top 48 projects will receive laptops, and the subsequent 40 highest-ranked projects will be awarded tablets.
- YIB Program Accessibility:
Question: Is the YIB program limited to university students only?
Answer: No, it’s open to all students from accredited Nigerian tertiary institutions who are currently engaged in or have completed an industrial training program.
- Participation of Recent Graduates:
Question: Can recent graduates with valid student ID cards participate?
Answer: No, the program is exclusively for current students. Participants must remain students for at least 3 months after the competition ends on December 22nd, 2023.
For additional details and application procedures, visit the official website at https://yib.fmcide.gov.ng.