A Simple Guide to Becoming an Immigration Officer in Nigeria
- The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) is a government group that helps control who comes in and out of Nigeria. They also give out travel papers and let people from other countries stay in Nigeria.
- To work for the NIS, you need to be a Nigerian who is healthy, between 18 and 30 years old, and doesn’t owe money. Men have to be at least 1.65 meters tall, women at least 1.60 meters tall, and men’s chests need to be at least 0.87 meters wide.
- If you want to apply to the NIS, you have to fill out a form online, upload a photo of yourself, and give them info about your past jobs, your school degrees, and any other things you’ve learned.
What the Nigeria Immigration Service Does
The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) is a group that the Nigerian government runs. They started in 1958 when they broke off from the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). The NIS has a few main jobs:
- They decide who can come into Nigeria and who can leave.
- They give out travel papers to Nigerians who are in and outside of Nigeria.
- They let people from other countries stay in Nigeria.
- They keep an eye on the borders and make sure everyone follows the rules about coming in and out of Nigeria.
What You Need to Work for the NIS
A lot of people in Nigeria want to work for the NIS because it’s a steady government job and they know they’ll get paid regularly. Here’s what you need to work there:
- You have to be a Nigerian.
- You have to be healthy.
- You have to have a note from a government hospital that says you’re healthy.
- You can’t owe any money.
- You have to be between 18 and 30 years old.
- If you’re a man, you have to be at least 1.65 meters tall.
- If you’re a woman, you have to be at least 1.60 meters tall.
- If you’re a man, your chest needs to be at least 0.87 meters wide.
How to Apply to the NIS
If you want to work for the NIS, you have to show that you meet all their needs. This includes showing them your health records. Here’s how to apply to the NIS:
- Go to the NIS’s hiring website. You’ll see a list of jobs you can pick from: Superintendent, Inspectorate, or Assistant Cadre.
- Read about the job you want. Make sure you understand what the job needs and click ‘APPLY FOR THIS JOB’.
- Fill out the form about you. You have to give them info about yourself.
- Upload a photo of yourself. The photo has to be a JPG, JPEG, PNG file that’s no bigger than 200KB and at least 600 x 600 pixels. It has to be a clear photo of your head and shoulders, against a plain background. It can’t have any filters, lenses, or emojis. If you wear something on your head for your religion, adjust it to show your full face. The photo has to be a head-and-shoulders shot of you facing the camera. You can’t wear dark glasses.
- Give them more info. Tell them about your physical ability, your NYSC certificate number and year of identification (if you’re applying for Superintendent), and how you want to prove who you are. Also, give them your document number.
- Tell them about your school degrees and other things you’ve learned. Give them all the info they need about your school degrees and other things you’ve learned.
- Tell them about your past jobs (if you’re applying for Superintendent). You have to give them info about your past and current jobs.
- Upload your documents. You have to give them your birth certificate or something that shows how old you are, a health certificate, a paper that shows you’re a Nigerian, and any other documents you have. The documents can’t be more than 200KB and have to be in PDF format.
- Check your info. Look at all the info you gave them and make sure it’s right. If you need to change something, you can.
- Finish your application. Click on ‘Confirm Data’ to finish your application. After you click ‘Confirm Data’, you can’t change anything.
When you’re applying to the NIS, you can save your application and finish it later. When you go for your physical check, bring these documents:
- A copy of your Online Application Reference Form.
- A type of ID with a clear photo of you.
The Documents You Need for Your NIS Application
When you apply to the NIS, you need to give them some documents:
- Proof of your age. This can be your birth certificate or another document that shows how old you are.
- Health clearance document. This is a paper from a doctor that says you’re healthy.
All the documents you give them have to be PDFs and can’t be bigger than 200KB.
What Happens After You Apply to the NIS
Once you’ve applied to the NIS, you have to go through a training period. If you get a job with the NIS, you need to know a lot and have certain skills. That’s why the NIS trains you for 6 months before you start your job.
How Much the NIS Pays
Lots of people want to work for the NIS, and they often ask how much they would get paid. The NIS has different ranks, like:
- Comptroller General Immigration Service.
- Assistant Comptrollers General.
- Superintendent of Immigration.
- Assistant Superintendent of Immigration.
- Senior Inspector of Immigration.
- Assistant Inspector of Immigration.
- Immigration Assistant.
- Passport Officers.
People say that a Passport officer starts off getting paid N30, 000 a month, which adds up to N360, 000 a year. On average, an Immigration officer makes about 2 million naira a year.