United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Job Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA International
How to Apply: Online
Application Deadline: 15th September, 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) invites application for following position.
Job ID: 25915
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – LIVELIHOOD
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme.
- The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results in anticipation of launch of new programmes, such as Nigerian Window of the Stabilization Facility in NE Region. The National Window of the Regional Stabilization Facility for Nigeria aims to address the needs of immediate stabilization in the target areas in North-East Region of Nigeria with high degrees of insecurity, promoting the phased transition of insecure areas toward greater security, and the reduction of current volatility whereby previously secure areas have become more rather than less vulnerable.
- Livelihood enhancement is one of the programme focus of the Stabilization Facility and integrated recovery programmes, particularly promoting emergency income-generation and jump-start local businesses. Furthermore, restoration of cross-border trade is also identified as a critical entry point for fostering stabilization in the Lake Chad region.
Summary of Key Functions
Under the direct supervision of Head of Stabilization, the Livelihood Specialist will lead implementation of livelihood and community economic recovery interventions in NE Region of Nigeria, as described below:
- Programme strategies and project activities are designed and implemented with strong technical soundness to enhance livelihoods and local economic recovery.
- Day-to-day activities on livelihood and local economy recovery of the Stabilization Facilities and other NE integrated recovery projects, including supervision of national staff
- Strategic partnerships with the key actors, including the community leaders, the academics and the private sector, are established for successful implementation of the project activities and policy advocacy, including mobilization of resources and support (e.g., in-kind contribution, public-private partnerships)
- Policy advice and technical inputs are provided to the respective stakeholders for ensuring effective emergency income-earning support, livelihood enhancement and economic recovery.
- Contribute to knowledge management including M&E, reporting and communications
Develop implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of enhancement of livelihoods and local economic recovery in NE Region, identifying appropriate livelihood enhancement mythologies, ranging from emergency livelihood creation to sustainable employment promotion:
- Conduct thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and provide substantive inputs to the Stabilization Facility and other related programmes/projects in the NE Region.
- Develop and update programme strategies, identifying the areas for support and interventions on promotion of livelihoods and local economic recovery in line with the current context of NE Region.
- Identify all major stakeholders engaging in the related areas, including the government counterparts, local business associations, community-based organizations, UN agencies and the international community
- Identify potential partners and interested parties who would contribute to achievement of the project activities
- Identify catalytic interventions for creating immediate income-earning opportunities (e.g., cash for work) and promoting local economic resilience of the affected populations.
- Design a detailed implementation plan of the identified interventions, including potential implementing partners, methodologies, and coordination mechanisms, in accordance with UNDP’s rules and regulations
Ensure effective management of the day-to-day activities on livelihoods and local economic recovery under the Stabilization Facility and other NE integrated recovery projects focusing on result management and oversight of the project activities:
- Lead and manage Livelihood interventions in NE Region, providing pertinent guidance and supervision to the livelihood team members.
- Oversee and monitor day-to-day project activities, providing technical support to ensure the project activities are implemented in line with the planned timeline and results. Promptly report to the Senior Management of UNDP, the respective NE Project team and relevant actors whenever the issues that require their attention arise.
- Design and formulation of activity plans for livelihood support activities, which include analysing the relevant data and research documents in a regular basis, conducting needs/market assessments, organizing consultations with relevant parties to identify the need gaps and UNDP’s entry points for catalytic effects
- Provide technical support to implementation partners to undertake UNDP-supported activities in line with the planned objectives to ensure effective project delivery.
- Provide supervision of a national staff and coordinate with other programme staff to effectively implement and monitor the project activities.
- Prepare reports, information materials, and publications on the project activities under the livelihood component.
Supports creation of strategic partnerships with a wide range of the key actors, including community leaders, local government officials, and the private sector:
- Conduct analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on livelihood and economic recovery activities under the Stabilization Facility and other NE integrated recovery projects.
- Provide policy advice to strengthen synergies and partnerships with other actors, such as the governments, the private sector, and the international organizations for greater positive impacts of the UNDP interventions in NE Region.
- Provide technical support and inputs to the relevant coordination mechanisms, such as the Early Recovery and Livelihoods Sector for the NE Region, to leverage UNDP’s stance and strategic policies and promote coordination with other partners.
- Identify opportunities and provide technical inputs to promote innovative partnerships with non-traditional donors, such as academic institutions/universities and the private sector, including mobilization of their in-kind contribution or pro bono services in the framework of the Stabilization Facility and other NE integrated recovery projects.
Provides top quality advisory services to the Government and other key stakeholders and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identify the latest trends in socio-political situations and other relevant areas that can have an impact on the delivery of the project results.
- Support organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc. in the area of livelihood and economic recovery.
- Outreach and coordinate with UN System actors and other organizations in the field of livelihood and economic recovery, to create synergies and collaboration.
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to livelihood support projects from around the world.
- Engage in Community of Practice within the area of livelihood support and economic recovery, support knowledge sharing and documentation of best practice.
Contribute to knowledge management including M&E, reporting and communications:
- Provide and maintain the quality assurance and the validation of livelihoods and economic recovery portfolio data (indicators, targets, results) in the established information management system for measuring the qualitative and quantitative impact, and report on the progress;
- Contribute regularly to donors’ reporting and briefings in addition to regular reporting to the Sub Office;
- Lead, facilitate and document human interest stories of beneficiaries and develop various communication materials linked to livelihood and economic recovery;
- Lead and conduct analysis of data, case evidence and research findings to distill relevant lessons from projects and programmes to support strategy and project development and innovation on livelihoods, and community economic recovery;
- Lead regular monitoring of the implementation of the livelihood and economic recovery activities in UNDP’s project location.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the success of the Stabilization Facility and other NE integrated recovery projects to enhance livelihood and economic recovery to undertake effective crisis response and promote resilience in the communities to on-going crises in the NE Region of Nigeria through high-quality of design, operation and programming of activities with strong technical inputs.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standard;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Substantive and technical expertise in all aspects of stabilization, peace-building, and DDR programming within broader recovery frameworks, including assessments and planning;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Has good knowledge of UNDP programme and operational issues;
- Has knowledge of UNDP/UN policies and programme in crisis and post -crisis situations;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to establish effective working relations in a multicultural team environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with internal and external clients;
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; resource management; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively;
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Promotes a learning and knowledge sharing environment;
- Facilitates the development of individual and multi-cultural/team competencies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Economics, International Development/Relations, Economics, Business Management, Political Science, or other relevant topics
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in economic development, livelihood enhancement, or poverty reduction
- Experience in post conflict environment with knowledge of socio-economic, culture, and community development issues in complex crisis situation is a strong advantage.
- Strong knowledge on employment creation, emergency livelihoods interventions, cash-for-work activities, economic recovery
- Knowledge of economic and trade-related issues in Lake Chad Basin Region is an asset
- Experience with diverse projects – in complex environments, involving multi-disciplinary teams, broad ranges of stakeholders, and within volatile security situations – is strongly preferred
- Previous working experience with UNDP and other UN agencies strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge on Result-based Project Management. Knowledge on UNDP’s Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) is strongly preferred.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement. The ability to communicate effectively in French is an asset.
Application Deadline: 15th September, 2019. (Midnight New York, USA)
Why NigeriaRecruitmentForm for UNDP Free Job Alert?
Nigeria Recruitment Form is the one stop place for United Nations Development Programme Nigeria Jobs 2019 notification across various sectors and industries within Nigeria. Here in this website we will ensure that at UNDP Livelihood Specialist Recruitment 2019 Portal updates get notified to all our visitors.
Disclaimer: Help improve this news portal, and if there is any mistake or any lack of information / facts in any news or excerpt, or if there is any copyright objection, then inform it at comment section. Simultaneously give full information with facts. The article can be corrected or removed.