The UK Skilled Worker visa is for skilled workers from other countries who have a job offer in the UK. To get this visa, you need certain documents. Here’s a list of the 10 main documents you must have:
1. Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) Reference Number
If you are coming to the UK for a job, there is an important number you will need. This number is called the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) Reference Number. Let’s talk about what this number is and why it is important.
- What is the CoS Reference Number?
The CoS Reference Number is like a special code or ticket given by your employer in the UK. It shows that the employer can hire people from other countries. This number also shows that the job you are coming for is allowed under the Skilled Worker visa rules.
- How do you get this number?
Your employer in the UK will use a computer system of the UK government to give you this number. This system is called the Sponsorship Management System (SMS). When your employer has given you a CoS using this system, they will tell you by sending you a message. This message will have your CoS reference number.
- Why do you need this number?
You will use this special CoS number when you fill out the form to get your visa. The visa is the permission you need to work and live in the UK. Without this CoS number, you cannot ask for a Skilled Worker visa.
- What information is in the CoS?
The CoS has some important details about you and your job. It will have:
- Your full name and when you were born.
- The name of your job and a special code for your job.
- The name of the company giving you the job and their special license number.
- The date you will start working and the date your job will end.
- How much money you will earn in your job.
- How long can you use the CoS?
The CoS number is like a ticket with a time limit. From the day your employer gives you the CoS, you have 3 months to use it. This means, you must fill out the form and ask for your visa within 3 months. If you wait more than 3 months, the CoS will not be good anymore.
In simple words, if you want to work in the UK, the CoS Reference Number is very important. It shows that you have a good job waiting for you, and you can ask for permission to come and work. Make sure you use it quickly, within the 3 months
If you want to go to the UK, check your passport. It should be good for 3 months after you leave the UK. It should also have one empty page for the visa sticker. If your passport is old and not working anymore, you might have trouble going on your trip. Make sure your passport is okay before you travel
3. Proof of English Skills
If you want to get a Skilled Worker visa for the UK, you need to show you can speak and understand English well. There are 4 ways to prove this:
- Taking an English Test
You can take an English test at a place the UK government trusts. This test will check if you can read, listen, talk, and write in English. You need to get at least a B1 level in the test. The test is based on something called the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- Show Your Degree
If you went to a university or school where you studied in English, that can also show you know English. A degree or certificate that was taught in English is good proof.
- Some People Don’t Need Proof
Some people don’t have to prove they know English. This is called an “exemption.” If you are from certain countries, you don’t need to show proof. These countries are: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the USA.
- Special Work Test
If you have taken a special English test for your job and the people who check workers for that job say it’s good, that works too. This means, if a group that looks after a certain job says your English is good, that can be used as proof.
So, if you want to work in the UK, make sure you can show one of these 4 proofs. It will help show you can speak and understand English well enough to work there
4. Job Title and Salary Info
If you want a Skilled Worker visa for the UK, your job must be one the UK Government says is okay. Also, the money you will earn every year must be at least a certain amount.
The least money you should earn is £26,200 every year. But, sometimes, jobs have an average pay called the ‘going rate’. If the ‘going rate’ for your job is more than £26,200, then you should get that higher amount. To know the ‘going rate’ for your job, you can look at the UK Government website.
But remember, there are some special rules about the money. Some people might not need to earn £26,200. To know more about this, you can click on a link to read more about the money rules
5. Job Occupation Code
When applying for a UK job, there’s a special 6-number code you need. This code tells about the kind of job you’ll do in the UK. It’s called the occupation code. To find out the code for your job, you can look at a specific place online. Make sure you have this code when you apply
6. Employer Info
When you want a Skilled Worker visa for the UK, you need two things from your employer: their name and a special number called the ‘sponsor licence number’.
This number is special because it shows your employer has permission to bring workers from other countries. Only employers with this special number can invite people to work from outside the UK.
If you can’t see this number on the UK Government website, it’s a good idea to ask your employer. Talk to them and get the number. It’s very important to have this when you fill out the visa form
Other Documents You Might Need:
- Proof of Family: If your family is coming with you, you need documents like marriage or birth certificates.
- Health Checks: People from some countries need a test for a disease called tuberculosis.
- Police Record: Some jobs, like in hospitals or schools, need a police record to show you didn’t do bad things.
- Special Certificates: Some jobs might need extra papers. Like, if you are doing special research, you might need a paper called an ATAS certificate. Or if your school diploma is from another country, you might need a UK number for it.
How to Apply
Do you want to work in the UK? If yes, you might need a Skilled Worker visa. Here’s how you can apply for one if you are outside the UK:
- Before You Start: Before applying, make sure you have a job offer in the UK. Your employer should also give you a Certificate of Sponsorship. Keep this and other needed information ready.
- Online Application: Visit the Home Office website. Here, you’ll fill out an online form. If you can’t finish at once, don’t worry! You can save and finish later.
Steps to Follow:
- Step 1: Check if you can apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
- Step 2: Make sure you have a job offer from a UK company that can invite overseas workers.
- Step 3: Get the Certificate of Sponsorship from this company.
- Step 4: Gather all papers and information that show you can get the visa.
- Step 5: Fill out the online form. The form you need depends on where you’re applying from and what visa you might have now.
- Step 6: Pay fees. There are a few like the application fee, a fee for taking your photo and fingerprints (biometric fee), and a fee for healthcare.
- Step 7: Upload or show the papers and information you gathered.
- Step 8: Book a time to go and give your fingerprints and photo.
Wait for a Decision: After you’ve done everything, you will wait. In about 3 weeks, you should know if you got the visa. If they need more information from you, the UKVI will ask.
Remember, it’s important to have everything ready and follow the steps.
This will help your application go smoothly