Correcting Errors on Your National Identity Number (NIN): A Simple Guide
The federal government has shared steps to correct and update details on the National Identity Number (NIN). Here’s a simple guide on how to do it.
Reasons for Modifying Your NIN Data
Here are some common reasons why you might need to change your NIN data:
- Marital status
- Mistakes made unintentionally
- Name spelled incorrectly
- Change of address
- Change of phone number
- Level of education
- Change of job
Important Documents Needed for Updating Your Data
To modify your data, you will need the following:
- Original copy of the first NIN slip given to you
- Printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number that you paid on remita
- Application letter written and signed by you for the change you want to make on your data
For a Change of Name, you must present:
- Sworn Affidavit
- Newspaper Extract
- Marriage Certificate (for married ladies)
For a Change of Address, you must show:
- Utility Bill
- Tenancy Agreement
- Bank Statement
- Community leader Attestation
For a Change of Phone Number, you must present:
- Police Report
For a change of level of education or job, present the recent Certificate or Offer Letter from your employer respectively.
Cost for NIN Data Modification
Changing your name on the NIN costs N500 on the NIMC official portal. Correcting your Date of Birth costs N15,000.
Process of Data Modification
To modify your NIN data, follow these steps:
- Go to the NIMC office near you with the required documents, including the printout of the Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) Number.
- Ask for a data modification form and fill it out.
- Give the form to an enrolment officer who will check it with the supporting documents to make sure everything is correct.
- The enrolment officer will enter your information on the NIMC Software.
- You will be asked to check the information you provided to avoid any error.
- Your biometrics will be captured.
- A Transaction ID Slip will be printed and given to you.
- You will need to give the old NIN Slip to the NIMC office.
- The NIMC office will let you know when to come back for your new NIN slip.
Please make sure to write in English (US) language.