Program Officer (PO), Maritime Transport
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time, Status: Permanent
Annual Salary: (UA 49,106.81 USD 77,480.72) / (UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87)
Application Deadline: 30th July 2019
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Line Supervisor: PPO, Maritime & Transport Facilitation Corridors
Supervising: PO Port Development
- Under the supervision of the PPO Maritime & transport Facilitation Corridors, the PO Maritime Transport will provide technical expertise in the area of maritime transport in support of the PPO Maritime & Transport Facilitation Corridors and the Director of Transport.
- The PO will also coordinate with major ports and shippers to provide efficient and reliable port facilities and services to support intra-regional trade and trading with external partners.
Role and Responsibilities
- Review and assist in the development of policies on Maritime and Inland Water transport with the view of improving efficiency of Regional Ports and maritime resources
- Provide Technical support to the implementation of the ECOWAS Regional Port Master Plan
- Assist in the Prepare the contribution of ECOWAS to key ports infrastructure and logistics development for a while sensitizing ECOWAS Member States, Partners, Regional, Continental and Multilateral partners on maritime transport and logistics in the West African Region.
- Monitor the implementation of policy decision of ECOWAS Authorities on Ports and inland water transportation and related matters.
- Support the development, implementation and monitoring of regional strategies for Port operations and inland water ways in the region in collaboration with ECOWAS member states.
- Support Member States to provide and maintain efficient modern Sea Ports.
- Coordinate the implementation of international standards in West African Ports
- Coordinate Member State effort in implementing IMO’s Conventions of safety at Sea and the ISPS Code.
- Develop projects to support national Port development programs
- Coordinate donor involvement in the Maritime and Ports Sectors
- Follow up with development partners on funding and development of the Maritime and Inland Water sector.
Academic Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in civil engineering or public works, Transport Planning, Transport Economics, Transport Logistics or Maritime Transport from a recognized university;
- 5 years of considerable experience in maritime transport. Experience in shipping services or Port Operations or Management in a developing country context
- Demonstrated knowledge of transport management and transport service delivery in the area of maritime and inland water transportation
- Knowledge and experience in policy development process, programme design and execution.
- Practical technical knowledge and understanding of projects in maritime transport, transport logistics chains, Port operations and infrastructure development in line with best practices
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining directorate’s performance goals and standards.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to keep a stakeholders (member states, development partners, internal sector departments, private sector investors, etc.) informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programs and policies;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/program assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks.
How to Apply
Send their Applications to: b1MaritimeTranspP@ecowas.int using the “Job Title” as the subject of the mail.