Programme Officer – Intellectual Property
Job Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time, Status: Permanent
Annual Salary: UA 39,73872 (SD 62,699.75) / UA 46,539.98 (USD 73,430)
Application Deadline: 24th August 2019
Department: Education, Science & Culture
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Directorate: Education, Science and Culture
Division: Arts and Culture
Line Supervising: PPO Arts and Culture
Supervising: Programme Assistant
- The Programme Officer – Intellectual Property reports to the Arts and Culture Division but works closely with all departments involved in the management of intellectual property. S/he is responsible for the implementation of all tasks related to intellectual property, including literary and artistic property and industrial property.
- S/he is tasked with contributing to the development of strategies and policies relating to intellectual property and monitoring and implementation of projects in his/her area of expertise.
Roles And Responsibilities
- Plan and monitor the implementation of activities related to the development of intellectual property;
- Ensure the implementation of projects and action plans in the area of literary and artistic property and industrial property, in accordance with the guidelines given by his/her line manager or other departments involved in intellectual property matters.
- Monitor the implementation of resolutions and decisions of ECOWAS governing bodies in the field of intellectual property;
- Prepare and submit progress and assessment reports to his/her line manager on the implementation of intellectual property projects;
- Perform any other task that may be assigned Commissioners, Directors or Heads of Division in the normal course of his/her duties in the field of intellectual property
- Prepare, plan, implement and monitor the intellectual property budget
- Seek funding for the implementation of intellectual property projects;
- Develop an intellectual property database;
- Ensure the monitoring and coordination of exchanges with other ECOWAS institutions involved in intellectual property matters;
- Ensure the visibility of initiatives in the field of intellectual property
- Develop international cooperation in the field of intellectual property,
- Develop, within the scope of the work, constructive and close cooperation links with other stakeholders involved in intellectual property.
- Provide expertise in the implementation of intellectual property projects and programmes;
- Plan and monitor possible recruitment or cooperation needs with consultants in the field of intellectual property;
- Plan for human resources capacity building in the intellectual property sector;
- Propose an innovative approach to programme management, taking into account scientific opportunities and new technologies
- Perform his/her technical tasks in line with the expected outcomes in the field of intellectual property, in particular its literary and artistic property component.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Law, Economics, Humanities and Social Sciences, or in a field related to intellectual property from a recognised university.
- 5 years of professional experience including relevant international work;
- Solid knowledge of ECOWAS policy on intellectual policy and related areas,
- Good knowledge of international or regional organisations working in the field of intellectual property.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to proactively interact and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect, credibility and professionalism clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigate issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards.
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT)
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
How to Apply
Download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected]