Get a Nigerian Passport – Requirements for International Passport in Nigeria 2023
The international passport remains an essential requirement for Nigerians seeking to explore destinations beyond the country’s borders.
This document, often referred to as a Nigerian International Passport, not only serves as proof of your Nigerian citizenship but also as a reliable identifier when traveling
But before you jump into the application process must know requirements for international passport in Nigeria 2023, there are a few things you should know.
Understanding the nuances of obtaining an International Passport in Nigeria is essential for anyone planning to travel abroad. This guide ensures that, while keeping Google Webmaster, Search Console, and E-A-T guidelines in mind, we provide you with a comprehensive overview of Nigerian passport requirements in a clear and digestible format.
The Significance of Passport Pages in Global Expeditions
Traveling to diverse nations often hinges on the number of pages left in your passport.
Pro Tip: The pages in your Nigerian passport can determine if you’ll travel with ease or have to endure visa application processes.
A. Nigerian Passport Varieties
Nigeria presents you with two primary choices:
- 32 Pages Passport: Best suited for those who rarely travel internationally.
- 64 Pages Passport: Tailored for regular globetrotters to reduce frequent renewals.
NIS E-Passports: Knowing Your Options
The Nigerian Immigration Services (NIS) has initiated two specific e-passport types to cater to various citizen needs:
|PASSPORT TYPE||COVER COLOR||INTENDED AUDIENCE|
|Standard||Green||General Nigerian citizens|
|Official||Blue||Diplomats & government officials|
Online Passport Processing
No matter where you are in the world, Nigeria ensures that your passport processing can begin online, bringing a new dimension of convenience and accessibility.
Budgeting for Your Nigerian International Passport
Be ready to settle the passport fee upfront. The price fluctuates based on age and the number of pages you opt for.
Important: Always refer to the NIS official website for the most updated fee structure.
Application Essentials for International Passport
Ensure you are well-prepared with the necessary documents to avoid delays in your application.
A. For the Standard Passport:
- Identification: A local government-issued ID is imperative. Options include an ID card or a driving license.
- Age Proof: Birth certificate or an equivalent document.
- Pictures: Two recent passport-sized color photos adhering to the specified guidelines.
- Guarantor’s Oath: Needed to verify the legitimacy of your application details.
- Minors: Those under 18 need parental consent.
- Marriage Proof: Especially if there’s been a name change post-marriage.
- Lost Passport: In unfortunate events of theft or misplacement, a police report becomes essential.
Always confirm the specifics from the passport issuing authority, as criteria might be updated.
B. For the Official Passport:
- A formal introduction letter from a relevant government body.
- Proof of a legal marriage, if pertinent.
- Police documentation for misplaced or stolen passports.
- Your latest appointment or promotion letter.
Online Application Process for Nigerian International Passport
To apply online, follow these steps on the NIS website:
- Select your passport type
- Choose the processing location
- Complete the application form
- Upload required documentation
- Make the online payment
- Receive your unique identifier and reference number
- Collect your physical passport from your local passport office
With this information, you are now equipped to obtain a Nigerian International Passport and embark on your travels.
Passport Application Process in Nigeria
Nigeria offers two types of international passports: the Standard E-Passport, which is available to all Nigerian citizens, and the Official E-Passport, which is only available to government employees who travel for work.
Steps to Apply for a Nigerian International Passport
- Online Registration: Visit the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) website and create an account. Once logged in, select the type of passport you are applying for and complete the online application form.
- Payment and Scheduling: After submitting the application form, you will be required to pay the passport application fee online. Once the payment is processed, you can schedule an appointment to visit a passport office for biometric data capture.
- Biometric Data Capture: On the scheduled date, visit the selected passport office and provide your biometric data, including fingerprints and photographs. You will also need to submit all required supporting documents, such as a copy of your National Identification Number (NIN), birth certificate, and passport-style photographs.
- Passport Collection: Once your biometric data has been captured and your supporting documents have been verified, you will be informed of the date on which you can collect your passport.
Role of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS)
The NIS is responsible for issuing international passports to Nigerian citizens. They oversee the entire passport application process, from online registration to biometric data capture to passport issuance. The NIS also plays a vital role in ensuring the security and integrity of Nigerian passports.
Passport Renewal and Replacement
If your Nigerian passport is expiring or has been lost, damaged, or stolen, you can apply for a renewal or replacement. The process is similar to applying for a new passport, but you will need to submit additional documentation, such as a copy of your expired passport or a police report (in the case of a lost or stolen passport).
Tips for Applying for a Nigerian International Passport
- Make sure to complete the online application form accurately and completely.
- Pay the passport application fee online before scheduling your appointment.
- Bring all required supporting documents to your biometric data capture appointment.
- Arrive on time for your biometric data capture appointment.
- Review your passport carefully before leaving the passport office.
The Nigerian Immigration Service issues International Passports, which serve as travel documents for Nigerians traveling outside the country.
You can apply for a passport through the Nigerian Immigration Service website or by visiting a Nigerian Immigration office.
The cost of an International Passport in Nigeria varies depending on the type of passport and the duration. In the year 2023, the cost of the standard 32 pages passport is N70,000 and 64 pages costs N100,000.
The validity of an International Passport depends on the type of passport issued. The 32 pages passport is valid for 5 years as standard and 64 pages is valid for 10 years.
Yes, you can renew your passport. The renewal process is similar to applying for a new passport. The general requirements include your old passport, two recent passport-sized photographs, and payment of the appropriate fees.