Safety and Security Deputy Manager
Mercy Corps Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria (With an estimated 50% travel to other program locations)
How to Apply: Send CV by email to [email protected]
Application Deadline: Not Specified
Mercy Corps Nigeria invites application for following position.
Safety and Security Deputy Manager
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0027
Position Status: Full-time, Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps works in fragile and conflict-affected environments. While we recognize that these are difficult places to operate, we believe that transitional environments – countries affected by civil wars, economic and political crisis, or natural disasters – offer tremendous opportunities for positive change
- Since the late 1990s, Mercy Corps has managed over 100 peacebuilding projects in over 30 countries and regions, making Mercy Corps a true leader in the field
- We currently implement 34 peacebuilding programs globally. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps is currently implementing several conflict management programs, focused on reducing violent conflict between farmer and pastoralist communities, preventing/countering violent extremism, and increasing peace between religious groups.
General Position Summary
- The Safety & Security Deputy Manager is responsible for managing all safety & security systems in Abuja, middle belt, South Western and Northwestern Nigeria program locations.
- The SSM will work closely with the Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager in developing and implementing procedures and policies specific to each situation including security management plans.
- The Safety & Security Deputy Manager will provide support and advice to the Safety and Security Deputy Manager, relevant program directors on safety and security issues.
- The Safety & Security Deputy Manager will provide training, mentoring, support and guidance to security focal points (SFPs) appointed in each field office and Security Officer (SO) for humanitarian team based in Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Kogi and Plateau states.
- Moreover, the Safety & Security Deputy Manager will provide (or arrange for) necessary training of Mercy Corps staff and partners in the program locations as mentioned above, as needed.
- He/she is expected to assist program teams in incorporating security planning and awareness into program planning. It is expected that He/she provides extensive support with frequent dialogue and field visits.
- Reporting instruments and tactical guidance will be standard with the Nigeria team. In addition, the Safety and Security Deputy Manager will work closely with the Safety and Security Deputy Manager.
- He/She will also coordinate with the Nigeria Security forums including UNDSS, other INGOs, embassies, etc. This engagement will be of particular importance as the UN scales up its humanitarian response/security infrastructure and security forums in the middle belt/Northwest.
Essential Job Functions
Security Information & Analysis:
- Work with SFPs, SO, Heads of Office and the SMT to monitor the security environment in the designated areas of Nigeria, with particular focus on the middle belt, South West, North, Northwest, and Abuja.
- Prepare analytical reports, based on information from internal and external sources, to support policy and procedure reviews as well as to mitigate risks to programming.
- Prepare weekly security brief and share with all relevant staff, including program managers, SFPs and security management team.
- Be readily available at all times to the Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager and field staff to advise on security developments.
Security System Management:
- Develop, review and ensure effective implementation of the MC Nigeria Security Management Plans including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key actors.
- Develop, review and ensure the effective implementation of hibernation and evacuation SOPs.
- Carry out vulnerability assessments, evaluating information and developing security protocols and strategies that work for the team and allow to progress safely and with the lowest risk possible.
- Conduct security assessments in all offices and international staff residences, with recommendations to the Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager for any necessary improvements.
- Ensure an adequate supply of necessary safety and security-related equipment at all offices and international staff residences.
- Ensure that relevant staff members understand and can use this equipment, including radios, satellite phones, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Conduct comprehensive security/risk assessment in potential new program/field sites, as necessary.
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Ensure implementation of incident tracking and reporting protocols, with key stakeholders.
- Prepare and update as necessary the “constant companion”, both full and pocket-sized versions.
- Review and revise security telephone tree for all locations as necessary, with key stakeholders.
- Conduct mock drills in MC offices that fall under His/her responsibility(e.g. fire drill, evacuation drill etc.).
- Promote and support efforts by field offices to meet the InterAction Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) through effective planning and budgeting for security.
- Work with SFPs, Program Managers, Heads of Offices and Directors of Programs on community acceptance messaging and other operational strategies.
Staff Management and Technical Support:
- Participate in the identification of SFPs and recruitment of Security Officers as necessary. Assist Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager in the onboarding and training of these staff.
- Assist Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager in supervising the security staff in his/her area of responsibility, including setting objectives, developing quarterly work plans, performance evaluation, etc. Assist SFPs in developing a monthly/quarterly work plan that can be monitored by the Head of Office, and remotely by Safety and Security Deputy Manager and Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager.
- Mentor the SFPs to fulfil their safety and security responsibilities at the field-level.
- Work with Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager to include necessary safety and security information in pre-departure information packages for new international staff and visitors.
- Work with the Human Resources Officer (HRO) to develop and implement security orientation for new staff (international and national) and visitors.
- Work with the HRO to identify security training needs of team members in coordination with Country Safety and Security Deputy Manager and include security awareness as an essential part of program training and refresher workshops.
- Assess the training needs of drivers and guards in consultation with SFPs and Logistics staff.
- Significant technical support provided to partner agencies – particularly in tactical skills and them defining their risk thresholds.
- Place a high value on inter-agency coordination in security. Actively participate in security coordination activities in Abuja and encourage SFP and Heads of Office to participate in coordination activities at the field-level.
- Daily check-ins with program/field teams in his/her area of responsibility.
- Actively seek opportunities for formal and informal cooperation in security.
- Develop a network of relationships with peers in the humanitarian community (UN, NGO, ICRC, appropriate governmental offices, etc.).
- Develop and engage Mercy Corps’ internal network of SFPs, SO and Heads of Office, and encourage inter-communications between them.
- Pursue opportunities to engage others in our community in creative solutions to our security challenges through collaborative efforts.
- Any other duties which are not listed but are essential to the safety and security for MC staff members and properties.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Security Officer
Works directly with:
- SFPs, Director of Humanitarian Programs, Team Leader of Humanitarian Programs, Directors of Conflict Management and Gender Programs, Operations Manager, Head of Offices, Program Managers, and Finance Manager.
- S/He will work very directly with Mercy Corps’ Safety and Security Deputy Manager.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-5 years of field experience in safety and security with a humanitarian or development non-governmental organization.
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing safety and security systems and protocols and provide training to staff and partners.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies. Good context analysis skills.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Effective skills in coordination, organization and prioritization as well as in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to work and solve problems independently without direct supervision.
- Experience living and working in Nigeria, and experience in the Northeast preferred.
- Knowledge of Mercy Corps systems and procedures highly desirable.
- English proficiency required: excellent written and oral skills.
- Ability to speak Hausa or Kanuri.
- The Safety and Security Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of security policies, procedures and systems that are appropriate for the conditions in Nigeria. Strategies and tactics must be consistent with regional practices.
- Critical to this job is problem-solving, and the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with MC and donor regulations. Maintaining strong cooperative relationships with other departments is crucial.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to interact effectively with national and international staff members and demonstrate the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and provide relevant advice and support in a fluid security environment.
- The candidate will have a high degree of professionalism and must be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense environment.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Applications Deadline: Not Specified
How to Apply
Submit no more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Why NigeriaRecruitmentForm for Mercy Corps Nigeria Free Job Alert?
Nigeria Recruitment Form is the one stop place for Mercy Corps Nigeria Jobs 2019 notification across various sectors and industries within Nigeria. Here in this website we will ensure that at Mercy Corps Nigeria Recruitment 2019 Portal updates get notified to all our visitors. We help both fresher and experienced non graduates to get Mercy Corps Nigeria openings across Nigeria.
Disclaimer: Help improve this news portal, and if there is any mistake or any lack of information / facts in any news or excerpt, or if there is any copyright objection, then inform it at comment section. Simultaneously give full information with facts. The article can be corrected or removed.