Edo State Gears Up for Second Phase of Federal Cash Transfer Program
Over 100,000 residents of Edo State in Nigeria are set to receive much-needed financial assistance as the state prepares for the second phase of the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Cash Transfer (RHCT) program. This initiative, targeting the poor and vulnerable across the country, aims to alleviate poverty and empower marginalized communities.
Program Details and Beneficiaries:
- 102,650 individuals spread across 1,969 communities in all 18 local government areas of Edo State will benefit from the program.
- The RHCT program falls under the National Social Safety Nets Project Scale-Up (NASSP-SU), a broader effort to provide support to those most in need.
- Ms. Yuwa Aladeselu, the General Manager of the Social Investment Programme (SIP) in Edo State, emphasized Governor Godwin Obaseki’s commitment to implementing programs that improve the lives of the less privileged.
- Edo State boasts a robust social register with over 1.6 million individuals, including approximately 314,000 households with disabilities.
- This second phase builds upon the success of the first, which enrolled and paid over 12,108 beneficiaries in 2022.
Alignment with National Goals:
- The RHCT program aligns with the federal government’s vision to support over 15 million impoverished and vulnerable Nigerians under the Expanded National Social Safety Nets Programme Scale-Up.
- This initiative encompasses Economic Shock Response Cash Transfers in urban areas and Extended Regular Cash Transfers in rural regions nationwide.
- The ongoing program specifically targets existing cash transfer beneficiaries who have not yet received 12 cycles of payment, aiming to cushion the impact of the fuel subsidy removal.
Focus on Training and Implementation:
- Mohammed Adams, Enrolment Officer at the National Cash Transfer Office, emphasized the importance of training local government cash transfer facilitators to accurately capture the biodata of the 101,404 registered persons.
- The payment delivery mechanism ensures that funds are directly deposited into the beneficiaries’ accounts and wallets at the designated time, promoting significant financial inclusion.
- Mr. Adams stressed the crucial role of this intervention in providing support to those who are most in need during challenging times.
Read Also: USSD Codes to Check Cash Transfer Status
A Collaborative Effort:
The second phase of the RHCT program in Edo State demonstrates the successful collaboration between federal and state authorities to extend crucial financial support to vulnerable populations.
This aligns with broader national objectives of reducing poverty and empowering marginalized communities.
- For more information on the RHCT program and other social safety net initiatives in Nigeria, please visit the website of the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development: https://www.fmhds.gov.ng/
- To learn more about social safety nets and their impact on poverty reduction, you can access resources from the World Bank: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/socialprotection/overview